About the allergen in oak
The allergen in oak trees is the proteins found in the pollen from these trees. Pollen from oak can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to it.
The proteins in oak pollen can cause allergic reactions which can include symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itching and red eyes. In more serious cases, it can lead to breathing difficulties and asthma.
Oak can also cause contact allergy in some people, which means that an allergic reaction occurs when the skin comes into direct contact with the tree or its products.
For people who are allergic to oak pollen, it may be helpful to avoid areas with high levels of pollen during the pollen season, use allergy medication recommended by a doctor or allergy specialist, or perform allergy vaccination (hyposensitization) to reduce the body's sensitivity to the allergen. For people with a contact allergy to oak, it is best to avoid direct contact with the tree or its products.
How can I find out if I am allergic to oak?
A blood test can be used to investigate an allergy to oak pollen by measuring the levels of specific antibodies in the blood that are associated with allergic reactions to oak pollen. The test is called a specific IgE test.
The results of the test will show whether or not you have an allergic reaction to oak. If the levels of specific IgE antibodies are high, it may indicate that you are allergic to oak pollen.
It is important to note that the result of an IgE test does not always correlate completely with symptoms of allergy, and that the test is only part of the investigation process.
If you take an oak allergy test and your IgE antibodies is found to be elevated, you can show your result to a doctor or allergy specialist who can help you with a full assessment and possible treatment.